Look ma, it's wider!

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Blog Group Project

Hey all! Would you guys mind having a look at a blog that our group built for a systems capstone course? http://teamroom.colorado.edu/courses/syst3510/Student%20Groups/Group2/ProjectCodePoint/frmBlogMain.cfm If you post anything, please keep it clean as it hasn't been graded yet. BTW it looks best in Firefox as IE is still having CSS issues.

We want to keep working on the project over summer as we have already made some money off of it. We currently plan to add several features to the site but I want to know what outside people think of the page and what we should add.

The coolest feature, in my opinion, is currently the syndication and the fact that it processes RSS 2.0 feeds from other blogs.

The features that we're currently working on adding:
*Search capability
*Customizable user interface
*Portability to other websites (this is a big one and will take a LONG time)
*Archives
*Administrative functions that do not require direct access to the DB

13 Comments:

Blogger Ben Drake said...

I don't understand how you're making money on it...

What are you marketing? Is anything you're doing groundbreaking or unique? It sounds like you're learning a lot about RSS feeds, though. I suppose it'd make blogging more integrated across domains...Order a book, check your stock quotes and watch the State of the Union Address, all from the convenience of your own usergroup's blog. Is that the point?

4/27/2005 10:33 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

Google Adwords?

I do that on my site and damn does it pay! But I wonder how many people will hit it up.

A professional design would greatly help!!

4/27/2005 10:46 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/27/2005 11:33 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

you do know that it is aginst Google Adsense Policy to share profit information.

4/28/2005 12:38 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Haha whoops I didn't know that. I'm not the one who set it up :-) I was responsible for the database, some simple security fixes (application.cfm), and coding.

4/28/2005 7:40 AM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

cool, what is the back end? SQL?

How is that wih Cold Fusion, I heard it is a bitch (in compairison)

Seprate statements for all the fields?

4/28/2005 9:54 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

No currently it is in Access but I will migrate it to SQL Server this summer. We built the site in about four days so I didn't have enough time to build and set it up in SQL Server. Plus I'm not sure if my professor is familiar with SQL Server....He's an enginerd from MIT who is kind of clueless about most things beside Artificial Intelligence.

4/28/2005 10:53 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Coldfusion is really handy for somethings and not so great for others. I really dislike how sloppy the code is. It's about as loose as VB. However it makes running queries, returning the results, and indexing really freekin easy.

Ex:

CFQUERY:
datasource="someDBconnection" name="myCoolQuery">
SELECT Thread.ThreadText, Comment.CommentText
FROM Thread INNER JOIN Comment ON Thread.ThreadID=Comment.CommentID
/CFQUERY

CFOUTPUT: name="myCoolQuery">
Thread Text:#ThreadText# Comment Text: #CommentText#
/CFOUTPUT

And that's it. The CFOUTPUT will automatically loop for each record returned from the DB. The CFINDEX is amazing for searching too.

BTW the tags are not correct as Blogger won't let me insert Coldfusion or HTML tags....hmmm I wonder why? ;)

Lol sorry probably more than you wanted to know but I always find this stuff really interesting :)

4/28/2005 11:00 AM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

yeah, see with PHP and MySQL, you can have one line that will insert mutiple vars into a table

4/28/2005 7:27 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

what is cold fusion? If it takes too long to type we can talk about it later.

Also, I didn't realize google paid for that stuff...it's amazing that corporations can pay out all this money in online advertising, but I wonder how much they actually make!

4/29/2005 3:39 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

ColdFusion is a server side programming language. It allows for dynamically generated content. Large websites that have continuously changing content (eg. Amazon.com, Blogs, etc) use languages like ColdFusion to dynamically generate their content.

4/29/2005 12:43 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Do they have set templates, or is is it all random? I wish I knew as much as you guys about all these new languages and stuff...

4/29/2005 1:10 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

As far as I'm aware they don't provide you with templates. You build your own template and use coldfusion to populate the page with data.

Ex: Say you have a query that will pull 10 names from a database (ben, bob, bill, james....). However before you build the page you don't know which names will be returned. Say it's a query to find all the people from a database with an income exceeding $100k per year.

What you do is design your html page and then use coldfusion to run the query, return the results, and insert those results into the page. This way you only build a template that in turn gets data automatically inserted into it. For a blog this is the only way to go unless you want to pay someone to add new posts manually with html.

4/29/2005 2:39 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home