Look ma, it's wider!

Saturday, April 30, 2005

Remote Desktop

Ok I feel really stupid for saying this but...Remote Desktop is GREAT!!! I had never used the built in one provided by Windows before and it's great. It's like carrying my big ass desktop around but not. Haha I know this is a pretty stupid and pointless post (I'm sure a few people will point that out to me in the comments) but I just felt like sharing how awesome this is. Bah back to studying for finals.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jess Clark said...

yes it is! I would run it on mine, but I am still stealing internet access!

I just run everything off my USB drive.

4/30/2005 7:37 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Hey do you know if you have to have a static IP address in order for remote access to work outside your home network? If so that kind of bites...there must be some kind of work around.

4/30/2005 9:50 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

I dunno, I bet there is a 3d party program out there, but who knows about security with that!

5/01/2005 12:37 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

I heard some talk about a remote desktop program for Apples that is supposed to work really well. Too bad they don't make the same program for PC.

Speaking of Apples, there is another program out there that creates a library of all the movies, books, music, and software that you own. If you have a webcam it can read the barcodes and ISBN numbers. I thought that is pretty clever and would be kind of handy I suppose. But again only for Apple...

5/01/2005 12:48 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

OH!!! Before this site goes down again check it out! http://osx.portraitofakite.com/index2.htm
It is the most impressive site I've ever seen. It's been getting mobbed recently by all the visitors.

5/01/2005 1:03 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

this is impressive? Not only is the design a rip-off, it takes for ever to load.

If I design a Kick ass site is flash, with an amazing intro, and disolving text between screens, well great, but if my visitors have to spend 3 min. looking for the information they need and the page to load, then regardless of how kick ass the site may look, I have failed.

"Form Follows Function"

5/01/2005 1:40 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

Also, if you want a barcode reader, let me know.

5/01/2005 1:41 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

The purpose of that site is to demonstrate the tool that installs on windows machine to skin their interface to look like a OS X. It's supposed to be a "rip-off."

As for the difficulty of finding information...I'm aware of system design for use and usability rules like the three-click rule. No more than three clicks to get to the info you want. So perhaps the website isn't bad but OS X is an inefficient operating system if it takes so many clicks to get to your end destination.

I found it impressive because I have never seen another site that attempted to emulate an operating system so well before. There are other sites that attempt to do so but they are pathetic in comparison to this one.

5/01/2005 2:03 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Oh it isn't just the barcode and ISBN reader that's impressive. It's how it indexes all the information once it reads it.

And not only does it index your information but you have the option to publish your index to a national database so that way you share music, movies, and books with your neighbors. You can see who has what in your geographic area and if they are willing to share.

It wouldn't be particularly difficult to program but I certainly wouldn't want to spend my time writing a program that does all that.

5/01/2005 2:07 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

no, I understand the complexity of the tool and what it does, I was just saying if you wanted a bar code reader. ;-)

Also, Druwars will be restarting on Saturday, you should join in.

5/01/2005 3:08 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Sorry for being a late comer. I've been overloaded with stuff. Still am, but I need a little break. Anyways, Yeah, there's no way to use remote desktop outside your network unless you do remote assistance invites. The program won't let you enter in router commands, so you can't select a specific computer on the network. There is, however, a very nice program I've been using called VNC or RealVNC. You install a launcher on a client and can access that client through a an IP and port address. If you get the chance to configure the client's settings, you can disable their control...it's pretty hilarious, until their personal firewall kicks you off ;)

5/05/2005 1:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home