I must be going crazy

I cannot believe I'm saying this but...I want a PowerBook. What is wrong with me?!
I do not like my PC anymore as I no longer perform any tasks on it that require Windows. I can't play computer games anymore because of my neck, so that pretty much does away with my only reason for Windows. Oh I used to program in Visual Studio (still do on the work notebook) and run SQL Server but I am tired of programming after last summer and I use SQL Server at work so I don't need to come home and do it too. All I do now is surf the web, write documents, perform data analysis in excel, and edit my photos. Oh man I love photo editing, it is becoming an obsession.
I am really sick of XP and the new version of Windows (Vista? What kind of a name is that anyway?) is presently shaping up to be a flop (WinFS is a no go along with a host of other features that were scrapped and the new visual style makes me sick). OS X on the other hand has a lot of neat features I love to use and play with. Whenever I am in the computer lab at school I wait for a mac to free up instead of a PC. I really like using the dashboard and the rapid window switching commands. Anway this is becoming a very long rant. Long story short I want a PowerBook but don't want to pay for one ($2,000 OWCH!) so I compromise and make XP look like OS X. No dashboard, rapid search, or neat windowing though :(
17 Comments:
Hehe, nerd talk!
11/14/2005 11:35 PM
Remind me not to buy a Mac so you won't be tempted to steal it!
11/14/2005 11:36 PM
"I wait for a mac to free up instead of a PC." - Man, that isn't the Ben I know! The 5th grade version of yourself would beat the crap out of you!
Also, what happened to your neck?
11/15/2005 12:59 AM
i can sympathize. I still prefer to use windows, but I definitly understand. I too, skin the heck out of windows. thats not why i understand though. I recognize the few advantages of macs and the many disadvantages of windows.
Since you're so into photo editing, Ben, I was wondering if theres any particular work you're most proud of?
11/15/2005 1:34 AM
Playing a game on a computer requires that I use both hands in a constant position that over time really locks up the muscles in my back and neck. Combined with working all day on the computer my neck can really lock up to the point where I am permanently hunched over. It looks kind of funny, hurts like hell though. After watching my dad get neck surgery this summer, I sure as hell don't want to go through the same process.
I dunno if I have any photos that I'm most proud of. There are several that I like that really turned out a lot better after some editing. I'll have to show you some time!
11/15/2005 11:27 AM
Ya know, if that happens at work you can get work-man's comp to cover it. I did that with my wrists.
So do you play playstation anymore? I would guess you were playing too many games and that is why your back hurts!!!
11/15/2005 2:33 PM
As I am not a full-time employee, I am not eligible for workmans comp. At least I don't think I am.
I still play the PlayStation. That doesn't hurt my neck because I can sit back on the couch and move around. With a mouse and keyboard my movement is really restricted.
11/15/2005 3:45 PM
Jess, I'm curious. What would 5th grade Ben version have to say to his future self?
11/15/2005 8:28 PM
5th Grade Ben would have kicked Grown Up Ben's Ass.
So basically if you play computer games, and @ work you need to sit farther back from the computer. Make the screen resolution bigger, (lol, that sucks)
You have to be eligible for workman's comp., it is the law.
11/15/2005 9:08 PM
Yeah but the macs in 5th grade blew. It's a different story today...although I definately would not buy one until they launch the new ones with the Intel processors.
11/15/2005 11:00 PM
It is just funny to think back then that you would say something like that now!
11/16/2005 1:46 AM
Haha I know my fifth grade self would be pretty pissed. I guess as we get older we tend to contract outselves more often.
Jess, didn't your fifth grade self have some negative things to say about downhill skiing? :)
11/16/2005 11:44 AM
I can't believe it either. Litte Ben would definitely take the current Mac-lovin' Ben down.
All trash talk aside, there truly are advantages and disadvantages to both. Just know that Macs aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread...they have their idiosyncracies too! "The grass is always greener on the other side." Expensive grass too! It's your money, but it seems like a waste of 2 g's just to change your background.
11/16/2005 12:59 PM
Well I wouldn't buy the machine right now. In the future when I replace my PC I will probably get a Mac.
Yeah I realize that Macs aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread. Specifically there are issues with stability and compatibility. However for what I do now, a Mac would work better and is more asthetically pleasing.
11/16/2005 5:32 PM
I understand. It's just kinda sad...
11/17/2005 12:04 AM
LOL, i just find this hilarious.
anyway, Ben, have you heard of deviantart? its like one of my top 3 fav places on the internet.
i think everyone should have a look and browse around.
www.deviantart.com
11/19/2005 3:45 PM
Yeah I've been there a few times. They have some nice wallpaper but there are some pretty odd things posted there.
11/20/2005 12:23 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home