Look ma, it's wider!

Friday, January 20, 2006

Copper

After skiing Copper Mountain roughly five years ago, I left the mountain feeling unimpressed and had no desire to return. After all, I know other resorts much better, so why settle for the mediocre? Despite my misgivings, I decided to give Copper another chance (because some friends from up here wanted to go to Copper so that we could give this other guy a ride back from Keystone, and Keystone is on the way back from Copper). So, a week ago we drove up to Copper after my 8 0'clock class. On the mountain at about 11, I was worried all the good snow would be used up and it would be as crowded as ever, but I was quite wrong. It snowed a little the day before and it was a Friday so there weren't as many people, but still, the mountain seems to hold people well (like vail, it's pretty segregated skill-level wise). We had to ride a "crotch disk" to get to the back bowls, which was about my only complaint. It took a while because it only holds one person at a time, and tons of people fall because of how awkward it is. But, o how hilarious it was to watch the snowboarders attempt to awkwardly place that disk in-between their legs, sit down, and proceed to get dragged up the mountain on their butt! I suppose it was a unique experience--and maybe it helps to weed people out for the back bowls.

Interestingly enough, I came to find out that they added lifts in their back bowls a couple years ago. Maybe that's why I didn't enjoy Copper when I first went. This time was different. The well-tracked snow was nice to ski in, but there was always freshies in the trees just waiting for my skiis to float over. My roommate knew the resort well enough to guide us to some cool spots, but I'd say it was "all good." It was a great day, but the story gets better. I went with my roommates there yesterday and had the best powder day of the year (and maybe my life). All the resorts got dumped on, but it seemed like I didn't have to search far and wide for freshies on Copper. With 2+ feet of fresh snow on the summit I was screamin' "yahoo" the whole day. There was one spot in the trees in which I had powder up to my chest--I'm not kidding. Now that's my kind of playground! Oh, and the lodge we ate at was very nice; there weren't many people there, there was tons of room, a great view, and oh I got penne pasta for 4 bucks!

Copper's definitely grown on me. We'll have to try it together sometime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ben Drake said...

I knew you'd like it Gabe...

1/21/2006 11:52 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

What is it with you guys and the Penne?

1/21/2006 5:26 PM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

I'm getting ready to give Copper a try. I've skiied at Winter Park for so long I think I'm ready for something a little different.

1/23/2006 9:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home