I haven't read that, Gabe...what's it about? As for me, I mostly read what they tell me to during the school year. This class on Ethics actually has some nice reads though. I'm in A Picture of Dorian Gray right now, and we're supposed to read Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis next week, which is one of my favorite reads. As far as books go, it might be best if you said what kind of book you want to read, first. Before spring semester started, I finished Blue Like Jazz which was a refreshing story of one man's life up to and through becoming a christian while living in liberal society. I know that sounds like one of my ubiquotous liberal bashes, but I meant that I learned a lot about showing grace to people because of his stories of growing up around hippies and going to school at Reed college. I'll have to tell you guys more about it sometime... I also started a book called Total Truth which challenges common worldviews of today and presents a philosophical background for why we are a post-modern world, today.
Books are awesome, and I'd love to recommend something within a genre of your choice. Keep me posted.
A Picture of Dorian Gray - When I was over in Prague (I believe) I went and saw this play. IT was in english for students who were learning english.
The last book I did finish was 'Random Family' by Adrian LeBlanc who is a newspaper writer who spent 10 years in the bronx and wrote about her experience.
that's wild. Don't tell me how it ends, because I have to finish it tonight. For class we're supposed to wear costumes symbolizing an "appealing vice." I'm not sure what yet, but if you have any ideas ;)...
Watership Down was a very good book. My personal favorites:
-1984 (Animal Farm was good but a little obvious)
-All Quiet on the Western Front. Set during WWI. Shows the incredible stupidity and waste in war.
-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not much to do with Motorcycle maintenance or really much to do with Zen Buddhism. A book about analyzing problems and life from various perspectives. Widely considered a Systems Thinking book.
I really liked Watership Down too. The one thing I really hate about school is that I never have time to read the books I want to. Well, maybe I could but I have such weak willpower that once I start a good book I can't sop reading to do anything...including homework. So actually my no reading during the semester is self-imposed to project my grades. :)
I like so many books. I don't think I have a favorite, though Gone With the Wind is close. It is a pretty girly book though. I don't think I've ever met a male who actually read the entire thing. (No comments please Ben, I've heard enough about what you think about Scarlet). I think my favorite genre is historical fiction. I have a ton of great authors I could recommend.
Sounds like I have to read Watership Down. I just started Kite Runner, and from what I've read, it's gonna be good. It's written by Khaled Hosseini, about growing up in Kabul. I'm excited to hear about life in the Middle East from someone who actually knows!
8 Comments:
I never saw it. I'm sorry if it was deleted. Could you repost?
2/05/2006 8:29 PM
I saw it, but I don't read (no time) so I had no comment.
2/05/2006 9:33 PM
I haven't read that, Gabe...what's it about? As for me, I mostly read what they tell me to during the school year. This class on Ethics actually has some nice reads though. I'm in A Picture of Dorian Gray right now, and we're supposed to read Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis next week, which is one of my favorite reads. As far as books go, it might be best if you said what kind of book you want to read, first. Before spring semester started, I finished Blue Like Jazz which was a refreshing story of one man's life up to and through becoming a christian while living in liberal society. I know that sounds like one of my ubiquotous liberal bashes, but I meant that I learned a lot about showing grace to people because of his stories of growing up around hippies and going to school at Reed college. I'll have to tell you guys more about it sometime... I also started a book called Total Truth which challenges common worldviews of today and presents a philosophical background for why we are a post-modern world, today.
Books are awesome, and I'd love to recommend something within a genre of your choice. Keep me posted.
2/06/2006 3:38 AM
A Picture of Dorian Gray - When I was over in Prague (I believe) I went and saw this play. IT was in english for students who were learning english.
The last book I did finish was 'Random Family' by Adrian LeBlanc who is a newspaper writer who spent 10 years in the bronx and wrote about her experience.
2/06/2006 11:03 PM
that's wild. Don't tell me how it ends, because I have to finish it tonight. For class we're supposed to wear costumes symbolizing an "appealing vice." I'm not sure what yet, but if you have any ideas ;)...
2/07/2006 2:05 PM
Watership Down was a very good book. My personal favorites:
-1984 (Animal Farm was good but a little obvious)
-All Quiet on the Western Front. Set during WWI. Shows the incredible stupidity and waste in war.
-Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not much to do with Motorcycle maintenance or really much to do with Zen Buddhism. A book about analyzing problems and life from various perspectives. Widely considered a Systems Thinking book.
2/07/2006 4:48 PM
I really liked Watership Down too. The one thing I really hate about school is that I never have time to read the books I want to. Well, maybe I could but I have such weak willpower that once I start a good book I can't sop reading to do anything...including homework. So actually my no reading during the semester is self-imposed to project my grades. :)
I like so many books. I don't think I have a favorite, though Gone With the Wind is close. It is a pretty girly book though. I don't think I've ever met a male who actually read the entire thing. (No comments please Ben, I've heard enough about what you think about Scarlet). I think my favorite genre is historical fiction. I have a ton of great authors I could recommend.
2/07/2006 5:25 PM
Sounds like I have to read Watership Down. I just started Kite Runner, and from what I've read, it's gonna be good. It's written by Khaled Hosseini, about growing up in Kabul. I'm excited to hear about life in the Middle East from someone who actually knows!
2/09/2006 8:17 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home