Tele days
So...I did it...I finally telermarked. I've been wanting to try it for a while, and I got the perfect opportunity while skiing with Andrea last Sunday. I ended up renting from Mary Jane so I probably paid about $20 more than renting somewhere else, but it was still worth the $38 I spent! Wow is it fun! Very different--even more than I expected, but the challenge is rewarding.
I found it most troublesome distributing my weight evenly on both legs while turning. I often found myself wanting to straighten my outside leg to turn alpine style. Alpine turns are possible, and as the saying goes, "when in doubt, alpine out," I made a number of alpine turns if I got into real trouble--and when the burn was unrelenting! I'm convinced that this is the fastest way to sculpt thighs of steel.
After a while, I could distinguish (I think) between good turns and bad ones, and I loved perfecting each turn. For the most part, I was still comfortable on harder runs (I took Sleeper, a blue-black), though I fell a lot more. I was never comfortable turning while at high speed, though. Hey, the bindings don't release!
I definitely want to go up again. Maybe I'll get some cheap tele gear. At the MJ shop they said they always have good deals on the last years demos. That'd be sweet. Anyway, thanks for sharing in my excitement. Oh, and my thighs are so sore! Woohoo!
11 Comments:
Did you get any video?!!?
2/14/2006 10:28 AM
yeah, Elliot videoed me while we were on the green by the discovery lift. I was kinda far ahead of him, though, so you can't see much. Plus, it's only a few minutes, and I feel like I improved a lot throughout the day...
2/14/2006 11:11 AM
What's telermarking?
2/14/2006 11:37 AM
Is that your way of saying the you don't want us to watch the video because you fall on your butt a lot? Haha just kidding. That sounds cool, I'd like to try it next year.
2/14/2006 4:45 PM
Telemarking is kind of like downhill skiing with cross country skis on. It's not quite the same but it's a similar concept. Your heel is not locked down like in downhill bindings so you turn by bending the knee in the direction you want to go.
Not sure if that helps :)
2/14/2006 4:58 PM
Good job Ben! Sounds like fun, but I bet your legs were sore!
Speaking of legs of steel have you seen the thighs on the Olympic women speed skaters? Yikes!
2/14/2006 11:12 PM
That does kinda sound like fun, although it also sounds very tiring!
Anyway, I am going to have a few fridays off in the next few weeks so we should go up to WP or CM on one of them.
2/15/2006 12:29 PM
Ooo. I'll play hookey and go skiing! Just let me know...
2/16/2006 9:38 PM
I'm busy this weekend, but I should have some free time in the coming weeks. I don't have class thursdays until 5, so that would work best for me. I can probably ditch some friday, though. The important class is Jazz band because we only meet once a week, but I can probably get out of that just once...Coolio
2/17/2006 1:20 AM
and im going to have to settle for the beach...
2/18/2006 2:23 AM
The beach is nice...Lol. Man, it's hard to imagine the beach when it's -20 with the windchill! Holy Shnikes, I need an engine heater! I'm definitely looking forward to the change that summer will bring. How is the beach, by the way? Any surfin? Snorkling? Or just chillin? I guess just about anything at the beach would be nice!
2/19/2006 3:07 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home