Look ma, it's wider!

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Early signs of spring.

The grass is always greener on the other side...

On Saturday Ben and I did a little climbing on North Table near Golden. It was a lot of fun but it definately got the nerves going a little bit. Where we started climbing is already about 500 feet above the town (I checked in Google Earth) so that doesn't help much. Some of the routes were really hard (one was almost perfectly smooth) and others were fairly easy. Definately the trickiest part for me was overcoming that feeling of an impending fall onto some very hard, and in some places very pointy, rocks.


The bottom picture was the last route of the day; we only did two anyway since it was crowded. We had hiked around the backside to get to the top so we could top rope. There was no way we were going to lead climb this our first time, the first anchor is quite a ways above the ground in a pretty tricky spot. Ben repelled from the top but I didn't want to because I have never done it before and I didn't want to try it my first time from about 40-50 feet above the ground. Basically I chickened out :). I did however attempt to climb the route and got about 75% of the way to the top. I made it so my torso was above the overhang in the picture (where the rope is against the rock) but ran out of juice in my left arm and was getting a little nervous since a fall resulted in a pretty big swing (a fun but bowel loosening experience when unexpected). Unfortunately Ben didn't get the chance to climb it as we ran out of time but I think we should try this one again if we go back.

All in all it was a good day of climbing and a little nerve racking since I haven't climbed outside in a good 6-7 years. Although this really wasn't that bad, you guys should look at a picture I took of some climbers in Boulder canyon. Oh and I really need my own climbing shoes, climbing in street shoes SUCKS.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ben Drake said...

Man that was fun! A little crowded for my liking, but at least we know where to go, right Ben? I have a guidebook and I think that route is "Mr. Coors contributes to the pink stain" which is a 5.9+. I must agree that it's unnerving being so high with only sharp point rocks 50 ft below and a 1000 ft tumble onto the freeway. That's what's so exhilerating, though! I'm also convinced it's this healthy fear that keeps us alive...we challenge ourselves, but we always realize that it's dangerous. Complacency has killed many.

There's also a tremendous sense of accomplishment after climbing a route. I love the gym, but being outside, you can truly enjoy this accomplishment.

We definitely need at least a third person to take photographs and video, though! Andrea's back from South Dakota and I'm hoping Marissa will want to go as well! Hurry back, Gabe!

4/10/2006 11:25 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

July?! I'm hoping you mean June :)

4/11/2006 10:16 AM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

You know me, Gabe. I'm gettin' so excited for camping this summer! What fourteener are we gonna climb? And yes, I do hope you mean June.

4/11/2006 1:32 PM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

I want to climb Mt. Albert (Elbert?) The highest peak in Colorado. I hear it's a pretty easy climb because you can drive pretty far up the mountain before you start to hike.

The tax season is over April 17th, so hopefully then I can stop working Saturdays and actually do something fun.

4/11/2006 10:18 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

It'd be nice to camp/backpack and hike. I'm sure Elbert'll be pretty crowded. I haven't climbed it though, so it might be worth a try.

A month till my B-day. I should be done with my big projects by May 3rd. Wow, that's gonna be nice! Exactly 3 weeks till then! I don't have much for finals, so man...wow. I can't wait.

4/12/2006 1:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home