Look ma, it's wider!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Car Questions

I have been having a blast with my new car, except my gas mileage! I have been getting about 24 miles per gallon. I bet I could get better but I really enjoy accelerating! Anyway, I have a few questions about 4 wheel drive and flat tires.

  • Is it true that if I drive on a spare tire in 4 wheel drive it will wreak my transmission?

  • If so, how do I go about turning off 4 wheel Drive?

  • Is there any harm in driving in 2 wheel drive during the summer time? I assume this would help my gas mileage.

10 Comments:

Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Yikes Gabe those classes and lack of free time doesn't sound like much fun. Neither does the hot and stickyness.

Hey Jess:

-It is possible to damage a full time 4wd (or awd but we aren't going to get into that debate lol) drive train when driving on a tire that is a different diameter than the other tires. This includes a tire that may be more worn than the others.

-You cannot deactivate awd on your car. The only Subies with awd you can deactivate are automatics without the turbo nor 3.0 liter engines.

-You should rotate your tires every 7,500 miles to wear the tires evenly so you don't get a tire or tires that are different from the rest for the bad aforementioned reasons.

Subaru has a website full of info about this stuff:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/carcaretips/index.jsp?pageid=tire&navid=TIRED_TIRES

8/29/2006 9:33 PM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

Haha! So now I have the car with the best gas milage!

8/30/2006 9:21 AM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Hey guys. It's been a while since I checked this, and for that, I'm sorry! I was tellin' Ben and 'Riss that my laptop HD is dead (bearings out and it's frozen). I've got a 7200 rpm c'mon soon. In the meantime I'm on my trusty Linux CD boot. Man I hope I backed up everything I need.

Anyway, Gabe, that's exciting to hear. I'm plannin' on skiin' with ya then...Even if I don't get a WP pass, I think that still might be the best place to stay (I can get a fourpass or somethin'). I hope all is well down in balmy VA!

Jess, 26? C'mon I get that in my ol' Mustang. That's my record, anyway. I'm sure, like you say, you could get better mileage by driving, shall we say, more efficiently? Ben's right, though. No gettin' around awd, and don't drive on a donut. Say, it's been a while. How's it been goin? When can we cruise?

'Riss, though you may have the "car" with the best mileage, I still beat all ya'll. How's 45 sound? And that's with wheelies, riding hard in the canyon, and all-round aggressive riding. But I don't like to brag.

8/30/2006 10:27 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

I have been good man.

Thank you everyone for their advice!

Hey Drake, back a few weeks ago you said you would be willing to help me look at my old CRX (which BTW, my Gas Record was 46!) to see if we could just getted started. I was wondering if you had the time now.

Yes, we should all hang out sometime (those of us around). We should hit up the Foundry some night, I work M-Th currently so I have plenty of time.

8/31/2006 1:15 AM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

Well Ben, I still hold the "car" record.

BTW, I was feeling nice a dry the other day when we followed you home in the rain. :)

I vote rock climbing this Friday night or Saturday night so I can try out my new shoes!

8/31/2006 7:20 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

So, with all this bragging about holding the record, what mileage do you get, Marissa?

8/31/2006 12:47 PM

 
Blogger Stepherella said...

lol so um what cars are you people driving anyways? I feel so lost...

8/31/2006 10:08 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

I took the walk of shame this morning and I took this picture or my car:

http://www.fluteinfo.com/me/photo/index.php?counter=9

9/01/2006 11:16 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

I drive a 1993 Honda Civic with 20 inch rims, neon undercarriage lights, white unpainted body kit panels to match my black paint, chrome lined fender flares, flashing lights on my valve stems, hood pins, two 800 watt subs to broadcast my taste in music, a spoiler taller and wider than the car (white of course), and of course a 10" fart pipe on the back.

Oh and I'm getting it lowered next week so I won't be able to go over 60 mph on the road but I'll look really cool when parked.

9/01/2006 6:06 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

yeah, with your speed bumps! You would have to park a mile away!

9/02/2006 1:34 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home