Just for fun...
Okay so before reading this, please keep in mind that I LOVE the holidays, even the “What happened today? Why do we get the day off?” ones. All of them are GREAT, I love the getting time off school AND work part. I love getting to dress up, or decorate a room, maybe give or get a card. I think that I like them so much because mom my always seemed to make each one a point to celebrate and we’d do something fun.
What has your week been like? (The longest week ever? The shortest week ever? The best week ever?)
Also what does YOUR family DO for thanksgiving? (Grandma always makes a weird pie? Cousin Bob gets drunk? Put up the x-mas tree? Chase cousin Lucy around the holly bush? You’re still a kid in your family, and must sit at "the kiddie table"?)
What are your traditions that you enjoy the most?
And for all you couples out there, which parents get to be the "lucky" ones this year?
What traditions do you want to hold on to and share when/if you have your own family?
What are 5 things that you are THANKFUL for this week, or in general (to keep with the Thanksgiving theme)?
Lol okay well have fun answering!!!!!
We love you guys and miss you!!!!!!!!
Can’t wait to see you in ONE MONTH!
~Steph and Joel
4 Comments:
Well I think that most of this week sucked. The good half of the week starts when Joel gets off work at 9pm on Wednesday and we drive to my dad's house. I cannot wait for this school thing, of going to classes that are insanely HARD, to go away. Perhaps making them go away by not going to them it just really a bad idea. So I guess it's been a pretty long week already, and it's only Tuesday.
Well for Thanksgiving my mom, Jackson and I ALWAYS to her parent’s house and they make all kinds of yummy food. lol One year we tried to have it at our house, and a tree fell on the power lines so we had to drive the half cooked stuff up to my grandparents house…oh so fun.
Well first, my grandpa likes to serve some type of homemade soup, or a crab/shrimp cocktail, and then we have salad or veggies and dip. Then for the main meal they make the basics: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes and three or four different veggies. I love that it’s all homemade! My all time FAVOURITE part is the pumpkin pie!! lol I swear the outer crust is almost always a hint of burnt, but man-o-man pumpkin pie with (REAL) whipped cream!!!! YUM! After dinner we then play some card games. My grandpa will go to bed and then my mom and grandma will either want to play more games or we will go see if a good movie is on tv to watch. Well that's what most of my Thanksgivings were like.
The traditions that I love the most are making things from scratch, all homemade stuff that takes all day to make. I also love trying a new recipe for thanksgiving too. I love having turkey sandwiches and then my dad’s turkey soup for the next week!
Well for Joel and I this year we are going to my dad's house. We are going to start baking and cooking as early as we can (I have a bunch of new recipes I'm dying to try out). My dad sent out invitations to the other single people at work (aka no families to share Thanksgiving with). So we are going to have cocktails and pupus at 5:00 and then dinner at 6:00. My dad and I have planned out the menu, it should be fun! The only down side to having thanksgiving at my dad's house, is that Joel and I will be up until extra late doing the HEAPS of dishes by hand...looking at the dishwasher that is outside..Not hooked up lol.
Well I think that I like that you have Thanksgiving at the oldest family member’s house, like closest grandparents or parents type thing, is fun…plus I think it would be great to host thanksgiving!!! I’ve never had a kiddie table I had to sit at; I think everyone should be able to sit at the table together. (but the kids can leave early if they want). I also love it when everyone brings their own dessert (potluck dessert)…mmm and you get to have a wee piece of each, if you have any room that is. (My dad is doing a potluck dessert, should be fun!)
1) I am thankful I have the world’s best husband!
2) I am thankful for have family within driving distance.
3) I am thankful for EGGNOG mmmmmmmmmmmmm I love it!!! lol
4) I am thankful that we get Thursday AND Friday off school!
5) I am thankful for having great friends.
(I can’t wait to read how you guys answer!!!!!!!!!)
11/21/2006 5:29 PM
so many questions, i'll answer later, i promise. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Wish you were here in Hawaii celebrating with us. We had another 5.0 earthquake before heading down to the beach for a pre-dinner walk. ;)
11/23/2006 8:34 PM
Wow. There's a lot there, Steph! How can you write down all of the Thanksgiving favorites in one blog entry? Besides, describing what makes Thanksgiving great is difficult, especially for an Engineer!
I had a professor who described "beauty" as waking up to a turkey in the oven. At the time, it was almost Spring Break and Thanksgiving was far from my thoughts; though I'm not sure beauty is Thanksgiving, albeit Thanksgiving is beautiful. To serve and be served, to reminisce, to learn and grow, to watch "the game," to love, and of course, to relax from work and school are actions from which I find my joy.
Also, it seems everyone has a signature dish, and I love remembering each taste all over again. BTW, Steph what is a pupu...like Pu Pu Platter?
I'll echo that Thanks, Steph, except for the world's best husband part. I'm also thankful for a creator who loves me despite my inadequacies, the one who ex nihilo set the universe into existence, the one who sent His Son to pay the price for me; I am forever grateful.
11/27/2006 8:08 PM
Michelle and I went to my parents house and joined my Grandma (mom's side) and her husband for Thanksgiving Dinner.
We had everything you would expect for Thanksgiving and plenty of leftovers. Last night for dinner I had Turkey and Gravey. Delicious!!
11/29/2006 9:35 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home