Look ma, it's wider!

Monday, February 19, 2007

Summer Camping / Backpacking Trip


I know it may be a little early to be discussing this but it can't hurt since we weren't able to do this last summer...

Unfortunately we were unable to go camping and or backpacking last summer and it was something I think we were all hoping to do. Since we were unsuccessful last year I suggest getting a plan together early (much like we do with the annual ski trip) so we can discuss different options and hopefully get the details ironed out before it is too late.

Here is a suggestion for what we could do:
  • Day one: We arrive at a camp site (location unknown at this point), setup camp, start a little fire, drink, eat, drink, and then go to sleep at a semi-reasonable hour (I need to be able to feel my face).
  • Day two (option 1): Wake up at or near the ass crack of dawn. We're not gonna be able to sleep with the sun turning our tents into ovens anyway. Go on a day hike, hopefully reaching a summit ideally above the timber line or go to some point of interest. Return to camp and booze.
  • Day two (option 2): Wake up at dawn. Pack up the camp site and backpack to a second camp site preferably near a lake or some other point of interest.
  • Day three: Depends on what option we chose for day two. Meander back to civilization.

I personally prefer something like option 2 but I am open to any and all ideas and hope we will be able to choose something that interests everyone.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jess Clark said...

Now I know that everyone expects me to Bitch and Moan at this post but I am not.

Option 2 does sound kinda cool however, I don't have the equipment or backpack to travel to another site.

I think Option 1 would be better. That way we could have all the boose we need. Carying boose from site to site could be heavy!

I also liked Buena Vista, I want to get a picture of me by that SouthPark sign!

2/19/2007 3:11 PM

 
Blogger Gabe said...

Im impressed Clark, I did expect at least a little bit of bitching. Maybe you are losing your edge... I kind of like option one myself, because you know Drake will probably "need" to bring the telescope, 10-lb flashlight, large axe,.... and I don't really want to carry them, but I might like to use them. Besides that its a lot easier to walk up a huge ass hill without anything strapped to your back. Another nice thing about Buena is there are lots of 14ers close by, Mount Anetero being the closest (the one we tried before). 14ers.com is a pretty good resource to find a hill to climb.

Unfortunately Im not sure where Im going to be for the summer. Ill let you guys know when I have some dates. I am trying to get a job in DC, working for the DOJ. Ill be home for Drakes wedding though. The other thing is the earlier in the year the more probability of fires being allowed.

2/20/2007 6:33 AM

 
Blogger Gabe said...

Way to be on the ball about this Ben.

2/20/2007 6:34 AM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

Thanks Gabe! You off all people should know that I have nothing aginst Drinking and Fires, and then when you mix in a Drunk Ben flailing around an axe...

At any rate, when will you know about the job in DC? Do you know what you will be doing there?

That is also a good point about the Fires. I wonder what type of season it will be.

2/20/2007 10:06 AM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

I like both options, though carrying bottles of alcohol, telescopes...does become somewhat difficult.

I agree that the earlier in the season, the more likely we can have a fire. The mountains a little below average for the year in terms of snowfall, so it might be a little dry up there. I guess it will depend on the rain.

Good luck on the job search Gabe. Keep us posted!

2/20/2007 12:04 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Car camping is fun, but if we can, I'd like to hike into a site. Yes, I know this will limit the alcohol we can take, but I like getting deep into the woods and roughin' it. Gabe, I only bring the telescope when I know we're goin' sissy campin'.

I wouldn't mind going to the Salida/Buena Vista area, but it doesn't have to be the same camp area and whatnot. It would be nice to give Antero another go, though.

Totally unrelated but, have you seen this? http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2027120 It totally reminds me of someone...

2/20/2007 8:11 PM

 
Blogger zwiffig said...

thats a lot of spit...
I wanna go camping! I dont think we'll be home for summer though. Might goto Canada for vacation. The only good spots we have for camping here are remote beaches. what a bummer.
I have an Idea, y'all should come camping out Here! or something...

2/27/2007 5:06 PM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

"The only good spots we have for camping here are remote beaches."

Pfft, spoiled Hawaiians. I have always wanted to go beach camping.

3/07/2007 3:31 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

Are there still all those homeless people camping on the beach who can't find homes?

3/08/2007 9:22 AM

 
Blogger Gabe said...

homeless who can't find homes...hmmmm

3/08/2007 8:32 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

Yeah, I think there was a pot about it on our blog back a few months.

3/09/2007 8:43 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home