Look ma, it's wider!

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Expedition '07

It is time to resurrect the topic of camping as we now have dates to work with. Gabe suggests that we go camping June 15th through the 17th. Coincidentally the 17th is Father's day and the American Grand Prix (F1, the pinnacle of motorsport for those who aren't in the know) but we will be back sometime in the afternoon so as not to interfere with any festivities.

First we need to choose a location, something that offers a range of hikes (low/high altitude) and activities (swimming, backpacking, rafting?, etc.) would be ideal. The Mount Princeton area does offer all of the aforementioned items and is a very nice place but a different location would be nice as well. Perhaps Rocky Mountain National Park? Any other suggestions?

Second as we had discussed on the last camping post we do need to choose what kind of camping and activities we would like. Our two main options for camping are sissy camping/backpacking or just sissy camping. The advantage of sissy camping both nights is that it would allow us to do something aside from hiking on Saturday (rafting?). Backpacking would allow us to get to a more remote/pristine location and do some higher altitude hikes in the evening or early morning.

To start making decisions we need comments on the location and format (type of camping). I know I just threw rafting out there, if people express interest in it I can start looking into our options.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gabe said...

You know me, I'm all about the sissy camping. No sense in lugging a million pounds of shit up a mountain when you don't have too! Any place we find to camp at is fine with me.

5/06/2007 3:58 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

'ight

5/09/2007 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Ben Ferreira said...

Unless someone posts saying that they have a problem with the date suggested in the post within the next two days then I will take that Friday off work.

Since it sounds like we're sissy camping, we need suggestions for a location and alternate activities.

5/10/2007 9:10 AM

 
Blogger Marissa said...

I want to go sissy camping too! I think going rafting would be really fun. There's some nice rafting around Glenwood Springs.

5/10/2007 9:48 PM

 
Blogger Gabe said...

We are planning on doing a hike right? I wanna catch me another 14er! If we do that, it should take the better part of Saturday, And I figure, on Friday by the time we get everyone together and drive to wherever we are going and set up camp, there won't be a whole lot of time for alternate activities (except perhaps hearts bocce and dinner~!)

5/13/2007 10:57 AM

 
Blogger Gabe said...

Ben Drake are you reading this? You better be coming!

5/13/2007 1:36 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

This looks good. The only thing is, Michelle just started a new job so she doesn't have vacation days so we couldn't leave until Friday Night or Early Saturday morning.

5/14/2007 8:29 AM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Hmm, well first I'd like to apologize for the lapse in communication. It's been pretty crazy, and I haven't really had internet here until a couple days ago. Andrea and I are doin' mighty fine, but haven't had time for much of anything. We're almost unpacked from the London trip...

Here's some possibly bad news, though. I just learned Friday that I may need to go back to Austria for a couple weeks, and it looks like it's going to be June 2 through the 16th. This is certainly not set in stone. In fact, things change quite often. There's also talk of me going to perform another installation right after the Graz trip, which means I won't be back until June 23. In any case, I'll do all that I can to make time available for you guys...especially you, Gabe while you're out here! I don't know what will happen yet, but I'll do my best to keep you guys updated.

5/19/2007 3:17 PM

 
Blogger Ben Drake said...

Ach du lieber! Now it looks like the tentative date for my Graz trip is June 9th through the 23. I'm not sure I can do much about this but hope that something comes up that forces a reschedule. I know this travel makes it really difficult to plan shindigs like this. I'll do what I can, and I'll try and keep you updated as best as possible.

5/22/2007 5:24 PM

 
Blogger Jess Clark said...

That sucks man! Well, at least you going somewhere cool to work.

5/23/2007 8:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home